First week March 2022 - I'm going to Munich

Since I went back to Mexico, and I started typing here again, I promised to myself I'd do it more often, the reason being that it provides a sort of catharsis, even if I don't always write about matters directly affecting me. Where I go wrong, methinks, is in trying to provide much detail or in trying to satisfy an imaginary audience, which in the end derives in it taking a much longer time and effort than it should.

I'll soon be leaving Taipei and gonna be heading to Munich. I've taken a job with IQM as a quantum physics engineer, where I'll work mainly characterizing their superconducting device and thinking about error mitigation/correction.

By the way, we put up a new paper on the arXiv recently on more RB for non-Markovian noise. Despite this one being less sexy than its predecessor when it comes to plots or figures (spoiler alert, there is none at all), I feel like it is hot nevertheless, mathematically and physically, even though as always, there are things that can be improved or addressed further.

Towards a general framework of Randomized Benchmarking for non-Markovian Noise
Pedro Figueroa-Romero, Kavan Modi, Min-Hsiu Hsieh

I will be cutting my 2-year contract in Taipei to a single year, with the main reason being twofold: the first is that the borders are not yet opening, and the second is the lack of diversity, mainly in the workplace. To be fair, people have been great with me, especially the team leader and director of the institute, Min-Hsiu Hsieh.

When it comes to IQM, from the places I sent requests or applications to, it was, I would say, my second priority: to be honest, Zapata was the first one, although mostly for selfish reasons (essentially I don't think I had quite the right profile for any of their vacancies). Regardless, I am super excited about taking up my role; ironically, without my year in Taipei, I don't think I would've been perceived as having the right profile, or it would've been much more difficult getting in. Also, the topic of device characterization in general has revived much of the passion I'd lost for research.

About Munich, so far the only issue I have is the high costs of living coupled with the high taxing rates. Even though I will be earning more than what I currently am, I will be having quite less after taxes and accommodation, which is a tad depressing. I guess it's a reason why the expats that decide to come to Taiwan like it so much, cause you can afford a much higher quality life with much less.

One thing I'll totally be missing is riding a bike, which was, unexpectedly, an amazing experience! This weekend at last I went around the north coast, only with a little climb at the beginning in Fengguizui. I'd been wanting to do this ride for a while, so I decided it was now or never, and didn't disappoint, even reminded me a bit of Beach Rd in Melbourne. I also took the chance to visit the Temple of Eighteen Lords again!


No comments:

Post a Comment