I'm going to Taiwan

...I've been telling people for about four months now. Even I started to doubt it was gonna happen and repeatedly blamed myself for not securing other options. Thinking about it though, for moves like these, I think one has to think of time-frames of several months to conclude everything. The whole wait in the end was definitely my bad, cause I only verbally accepted the offer after I had submitted my PhD thesis and was practically, even if not technically, done with my degree.

Perhaps worse than the wait, is the uncertainty: not knowing when things are gonna be finally done with and facing new bureaucratic barriers time and time again. In any case, I'm now quite excited about getting there, even if I have to clear a 14-day mandatory quarantine in an outrageously expensive hotel. I'm looking forward to going full-on with the postdoc and discussing things with people, with some ideas already on randomized benchmarking, unitary designs and some quantum machine learning. I also can't wait to get on a bike again and ride the big hills around Taipei and maybe later in some other exciting spots in Taiwan.

No comments:

Post a Comment